Sunday, July 15, 2018
Last Updated: Monday, April 24, 2017
 


Environmental

Cultural Resources
  
 

Balancing the requirements of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, as amended, with critical Army mission equirements.                                                        

Family Cemetary early 1900'sFort A. P. Hill maintains a proactive program for the research, documentation and preservation of cultural resources ranging from 19th century homesites to evidence of activity dating back to 8,000 B.C.
.

Family cemetery, early 1900's

  


      


Liberty Church, built circa 1850

Liberty Church, built circa 1850


Liberty Church is associated with one of the oldest Baptist congregations in Caroline County, organized in 1796. The building, constructed in 1850, is a well preserved example of the churches built in the county during the Antebellum period. Because of the historical significance associated with this church it is considered eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.

 

Travis Lake Historic District and Liberty Church:

The Travis Lake Historic District occupies approximately 150 acres of the northern part of Fort A.P. Hill in Caroline County, Virginia, approximately six miles north of the town of Bowling Green. The district lies in the midst of gently rolling, forested topography at the headwaters of Goldenvale Creek, a tributary of the Rappahannock River. The dominant feature of the district is Travis Lake, the upper part of which covers thirty acres (the lower half of the lake, located below a former mill dam, is largely excluded from the district). The shores of the lake are forested with beeches, oaks, and pines and an understory of mountain laurel and dogwood, and the lake surface supports water lilies and other aquatic plants. Travis Lake Road (which follows the course of an antebellum road) hugs the shore on its east and north sides, connecting to a gravel road that follows the other shores of the lake. Occupying a knoll at the northeast end of the lake is a large log residence constructed in 1938-39 and known as the Lodge. Below the Lodge is the former mill dam, which forms part of the bed of Travis Lake Road. At the north end of the dam stands a complex of secondary dwellings and farm buildings. Liberty Baptist Church, an antebellum brick building also eligible for National Register listing, stands about a half mile to the west of the district.

 




 


RSS
 iSalute    Mobile         Contact Us      FAQ       Security and Privacy Notice       Accessibility       DoD Web Policy
Podcasts